Monday, November 23, 2009

Those Who Live In Glass Houses.......

It seems as though I need to take that old saying to heart. When I was childless, I threw a lot of stones and I am now picking up the shattered glass.

Where should I begin? I see a lot of kiddos every day at my job. In years gone by I have often wondered why kids would come to school smelling of pancake syrup. I would roll my eyes and think to myself, "Why didn't your parent clean you up before sending you off to school?" I now join the ranks of this neglectful parent. I admit it, I have dropped my little man off at the sitters with the smell of maple syrup lingering on his body. I don't know where they syrup is hiding! I have washed his hands, face, neck, head, ears, the list goes on......but for the life of me, I can't figure out where it the smell if coming from. I now just pass him to the sitter and hang my head in shame, defeated by the smell of maple syrup.

Sadly, my rock throwing doesn't stop with maple syrup. My next disappointment is my car. I remember when my sister and her family lived in New Hampshire and they bought a brand new mini van and the next day drove home to Wisconsin for a visit. I still recall running out to greet them at their arrival. I was excited to take a peek at their new wheels and breath in the 3 day old new car smell. As I looked around their new vehicle, I yelled out to my sister, "It looks like you have had this thing for years!" I remember spying a McDonalds french fry on the ground, crumbs on the floor, discarded napkins and other random food scraps lying around. Disgusting!

I now find it embarrassing if anyone has to ride in my car. Before allowing a passenger to enter, the first thing I have to do is move the children's books and sippy cups from the seat. I then brush the cracker crumbs out of the way. The backseat is even worse. Books, papers and stuffed animals litter the seat and floor. I have about an inch of crumbs in the seat cracks. My poor little man's seat is filled with Kix, graham crackers and Ritz Crackers. My sister has now commented on the state of my car. I hang my head in shame and take back my snarky comment.

Does life get easier? Will my car ever be clean again? Will my son ever be clean? Where exactly does he dab the syrup?

1 comment:

  1. Cute post! It's easier when you're on the outside looking in, right?

    For the record...pre-baby sometimes you smelled like maple syrup too.

    JUST KIDDING!!!!! you always smell nice. It's funny because while it's not really related, it kind of is, because I remember when we were in college living at Bev's and our room was a DISASTER, but you and I always walked out of the house looking pristine and put together. No one would have ever guessed what was behind those closed doors!!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete